What Are You Reading? Chapter 42

Want to talk about some nifty piece of media that isn't Neil-related? This is the place to do it.
Matt Cable

Re: What Are You Reading? Chapter 42

Post by Matt Cable »

I'm reading Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern. She also wrote Night Circus, which was amazing.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Matt Cable wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:43 pm I'm reading Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern. She also wrote Night Circus, which was amazing.
I have this on audiobook and there are two main readers. I adore one of them and am indifferent to the other, and so I couldn’t manage to concentrate on the story. I kept meaning to buy the book and never got around to it.
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Ophelia's Vengeance

Post by Ophelia's Vengeance »

Reading the latest book in the Murderbot series: Network Effect.
the band was altogether, yes he was alright, the song went on forever
wanderinginmn

Post by wanderinginmn »

Maeve wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:59 pm
Matt Cable wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:43 pm I'm reading Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern. She also wrote Night Circus, which was amazing.
I have this on audiobook and there are two main readers. I adore one of them and am indifferent to the other, and so I couldn’t manage to concentrate on the story. I kept meaning to buy the book and never got around to it.
So audiobooks, how do you do it? It drives me nuts how slow the narration is. I have a difficult time waiting for the next word. I know I read at a quicker pace than most, but it is almost like nails on a chalkboard to.... listen.... to ... a.. story... being... told... through ... speakers. I connect and immerse more into the written word vs very slow verbal.
I do not have this issue at an author event where s/he is reading an excerpt (when we had those sort of things.) Maybe just an event tolerance vs focus on the story?
-I.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

wanderinginmn wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:27 am
So audiobooks, how do you do it? It drives me nuts how slow the narration is. I have a difficult time waiting for the next word. I know I read at a quicker pace than most, but it is almost like nails on a chalkboard to.... listen.... to ... a.. story... being... told... through ... speakers. I connect and immerse more into the written word vs very slow verbal.
I do not have this issue at an author event where s/he is reading an excerpt (when we had those sort of things.) Maybe just an event tolerance vs focus on the story?

I think that articulates one of my problems! I thought that because I like listening to podcasts while knitting lace (I have to watch what my fingers are doing and look at a graph to see what stitches to do) that I would like an audiobook. But I don’ follow the story as easily. It’s either too slow, or too fast.

I have also figured out that I prefer podcasts when I wear headphones. I used wireless headphones when dad was sick. His lung cancer coughs were very distressing (because I couldn’t help him) and so I was still in the room, but could be in my own world, as it were. When dad died I stopped using them. And I still listen to podcasts (generally I like British accents) but I find that I don’t pay as much attention to what they’re saying without my headphones directing the noise straight into my ears.

So, possibly, I need headphones to enjoy an audiobook? Dunno, I shall experiment someday. But my son took the headphones first, then he got earbuds, then my husband took them. And broke them.

I need to get earbuds of my own, I think.
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Furious

Post by Furious »

My brain is still in it's post-grad degree illiteracy phase so all I read is comic books.

Huh-huh. Purty pictures.
y u poek bear?
Ophelia's Vengeance

Post by Ophelia's Vengeance »

I'm definitely now a big fan of the Murderbot series. Need a Rise and Fall of Sanctuary Moon t-shirt, stat.

Now onto devouring Son of a Trickster.
the band was altogether, yes he was alright, the song went on forever
St.CountZero

Post by St.CountZero »

I'm mostly re-reading Paul Theroux travel books, currently "The Happy Isles of Oceania". I have a few more books lined up but my pace is really slow these days.

To the kid, we've been reading either the Zoey and Sassafras series (representation! it's a little Black girl who loves science and has a cute cat), or The Rock and Gem Book.
smalltown

Post by smalltown »

wanderinginmn wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:27 am
Snazz listens to his at 1.25 speed. It doesn't speed up the audio (which is what I originally thought) but removes a fraction of the gap between words and shortens any silent bits. Might be worth a try!
duck...duck...duck...duck...BOOBS
wanderinginmn

Post by wanderinginmn »

New Sanderson Stormlight Archive book has been shipped! Looking forward to it. :D
-I.