Bideo Games

Want to talk about some nifty piece of media that isn't Neil-related? This is the place to do it.
Furious

Re: Bideo Games

Post by Furious »

Really getting into Borderlands 2. The only minus is the special lootbox gimmick, which makes the game easier and is difficult not to dip into, because oooooooooo dem sexy guns!
y u poek bear?
Furious

Post by Furious »

Cough is gone. Gonna play one stream one more night of mic-less Borderlands 2...

*Krazy-glued thumb's still tacky*

...maybe not. :evil:
y u poek bear?
Furious

Post by Furious »

Controller: 8bitDo SN30 Pro+
Rating of Fury: B+

Edit: dropped the rating from A to B+ because some of my consoles wont play nice with the controller. Windows 10 and Rasperry Pi works great, others not so much. Wrote up a whole thinger about it and lost it :roll:

Edit Edit:
What works-
Windows 10 games and services (Steam/Epic/Origin/GOG)
Raspberry Pi Emulation Station (multiple retro emulators)
Chromebook (Chrome OS 88.0.4324.186, game: NBA Jam)
Android (Google Pixel 4XL, Android 11 "Red Velvet Cake", game: Asphalt 9)

What doesn't work (easily, without the 8bitDo dongle, or not at all) -
Xbox 360
Sony PSX official retro console
Nintendo NES official retro console

more to come as I test away

I'm thinking of getting a Switch, but I have no desire to carry it around or cramp my hands on joypads build for toddlers. Plus, my recent purchase of a Google Stadia Pro controller was bittersweet since you currently can't use it on anything but Goodle Stadia :evil: :evil: :evil: so I needed a good wireless PC controller. In comes the next in a line of third-party button mashing offerings, the *inhales* 8bitDo SN30 Pro+

PXL_0210223_101535159.jpg
PXL_0210223_101535159.jpg (213.72 KiB) Viewed 2277 times
The SN30 Pro+ comes in three pleasantly bland colors, and black is one of them.

Resembling an upgraded PS2 controller with the joysticks in the CORRECT configuration, this sucker cost me $50 on Amazon, so it better be good. It came partially charged. It can be used with the included USB cable as a wired controller and Windows 10 immediately recognized it. I then went to 8bitDo's website https://www.8bitdo.com/sn30-pro-plus/ to upgrade the firmware and download the manual other tweaking goodies. Smooth sailing so far.

Turned on my PCs bluetooth. Effortlessly paired it to the controller. The controller has rumble. Fired up the Steam game OMORI. Worked flawlessly. Comfortable to use and 'feels' good.

The SN30 Pro+ is also compatible (stated compatible, I haven't tried these yet) with the NIntendo Switch, Playstation consoles going back to the PS3, XBox One, Windows 10, Android, Pi, and older Apple IOS's, and possibly, possibly, other non-bluetooth systems using a not-included-in-the-package bluetooth dongle. Not bad... other reviewers have minor complaints about the D-pad and not being able to power up their Switches from this controller, but these haven't affected me so I can't agree or disagree. The D-pad works fine for me so far.

The controller uses a lithium battery much like a cell phone battery and it's replaceable, unlike a certain company's $60 controllers that you have to toss when they're dead *koffSONYkoff*. With the Windows tweaking software you can macro and fine tune controller actions to a level that I consider geekish pedantry. And oh yeah, there's a TURBO button.

2021-02-23_4-37-24.jpg
2021-02-23_4-37-24.jpg (44.12 KiB) Viewed 2277 times

I'm happy with the controller despite it's mouthful of a name and the $50 price tag, which is still ~$10 cheaper than official controllers. If you have a bluetoothed PC, I recommend picking one or two of these up. Do your research, but I think this controller will be a hit with Switch, android, and retro console users too. Obviously, gimmick games that use touchpads or gyros won't work with the SN30 Pro+. but otherwise this is a very good controller, especially if you can find them on sale.
y u poek bear?
Furious

Post by Furious »

Update to ^^^: They work flawlessly on the Switch. Oh yeah, I finally bought a Switch. The red/blue TV dock one.

WHO THE HECK THOUGHT CHOPPING WOOD WOULD BE FUN?!? stupid Animal Crossing
y u poek bear?