What are we watching?

Want to talk about some nifty piece of media that isn't Neil-related? This is the place to do it.
Furious

Re: What are we watching?

Post by Furious »

On the fence about doing color commentary for Wrestlemania. Two big issues:

-it's two nights long, and
-the card sucks

Don't be surprised if I don't do it. :?
y u poek bear?
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

I would watch Falcon & Winter Soldier and then continue HDM, but my internet sucks balls today. So unless I want to watch a frozen blurry still, buffering, I should prolly download a book.
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Furious

Post by Furious »

Maeve wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:23 pm I would watch Falcon & Winter Soldier and then continue HDM, but my internet sucks balls today. So unless I want to watch a frozen blurry still, buffering, I should prolly download a book.
Is Episode 2 out today? I might try it and if its the slooooooow uninteresting boil like Ep 1 I'll have to walkaway. With luck that 'buddy-cop' vibe will kick in. With any luck the new Cap will be a complete ass (sicut Homelander or Guy Gardner) so there can be someone we love to hate.

Edit: Repeating myself again. I swear if I ever go senile no one will spot the change
y u poek bear?
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Ep 2 had a Blonde Chin (with bonus Elvis sneer) and his Smarmy Sidekick. And yes, they are assholes. Kinda got into a buddycop groove with Bucky and Sam. I like it just fine, but I would rather just binge through at my pace, not their release dates.

Oh and thanks disney, for the cheerful, hey, we’re raising your cost next month, isn’t that just awesome!

I think I did go senile a while ago and no, no one noticed.

My internet speeds are still nearly nonexistent. And I don’t think it’s a throttling issue because it is happening on everyone’s devices, which all have their own lines. And Dev was at the park yesterday where speeds were great. Yes, we had a very windy storm last week, but it’s been days of this and it’s annoying.
Furious

Post by Furious »

Watched Ep 2 and it was much better than Ep 1 (because more action, buddy-cop feels). John Walker becomes a supe in his own right, and there's a Hal Jordan/Guy Gardner "I'm good but I'm not him" drama brewing. Only Disney writers know where Walker will end up on the Captain America scale.

John-Walker.jpg
John-Walker.jpg (49.23 KiB) Viewed 3223 times

Flawed heroes are more fun to watch then "Gotta keep working to pay for muh dad's boat" perfect heroes and I'm a big fan of Marvel's Thunderbolts reformed villain group which (arguably) is a better antihero team then DC's Suicide Squad. Depends on the writing and the line-up. Venom (in a-hole mode) pretending to be black-suited Spider-Man is hilarious.

And speaking of The Suicide Squad, Sylvester Stallone as King Shark and Margot Robbie and John Cena and Michael Rooker? Ohhh yes I'll be there opening weekend!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r41n7dOcEf0
YouTube age verification because of shark eataging and dick jokes. Sorry.
y u poek bear?
Ophelia's Vengeance

Post by Ophelia's Vengeance »

I feel like there are at least three shows I'm DNFing. The Crown (first season) is ok... but I'm not invested enough to feel compelled to devote precious time to finishing the first season. Philip wants to take over the coronation, whooptiedo.
the band was altogether, yes he was alright, the song went on forever
Furious

Post by Furious »

Godzilla vs Kong
Rating of Fury: B-

You know what you're in for.

For what it is, GvK is great. A CGI masterpiece rendered by the anal-retentive people at Weta. A couple of WOW moments.

Yet...

The plot is a piece of dental floss connecting the action scenes together and every human character is annoying. I can see why the kaiju want to stomp us like ants; we just don't shut up! I have a feeling the pitch session for GvK went like this:

"You're doing Skull Island in CGI?
"Yes."
"You're doing Hollow Earth in CGI?
"Yes."
"You're doing Hong Kong in CGI?
"Yes."
"You're doing the... entire Pacific Ocean and all the Navy ships in CGI?
"Yes."
"But you need to film in Hawaii for two months. Is that right?" *raises eyebrow*
"And it's mandatory that you're on set to supervise, sir."
"Budget approved! Let's make a movie!"
:D

If you watch GvK on at home HBOMax, set your home theater to play the music and background noise but mute the dialogue; there's nothing witty or interesting anyone will say that's rationale for the next AAA fight scene to happen. At home or at $5 movie night GvK is a blast. Spending anymore than that... you'll be angrier than a giant gorilla chained to an aircraft carrier during monsoon season. :shock:
y u poek bear?
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

I assumed that my smart telly would have an HBOmax app. Yeah... No. so, getting a movie onto my tv is quite annoying.

We ditched the landline years ago, could only get DSL on the ancient copper wires (seriously, my dad was a phone installer and he knew when those lines were put down and “maintained” over the years) Verizon dangled that FIOS carrot at us for years. So. We can get cell service at my house* and the only way we get to watch anything or do anything online is to each have devices that have cellular service. There is no router, just 6 devices and 2 jetpack mifi thingys that have a 15gb data cap.

*service to my house has been utter shite lately, with no real explanation as to why. And it’s not a throttling issue, because it’s nearly the same numbers on speedtest on *each* device. Like, my phone will be slightly better than my ipad, but the speeds are generally the same range. And I took my ipad to the mall the other day and got (to me) phenomenal speeds. Over twice the speeds as my very bestest fastest speeds ever at my house.

So anyway. In order to get hbo shows to my tell, I have to beam it through the chromecast dongle. Which is fine, but it wants a *network wifi*, which we don’t have. It refuses to just use a hotspot. But, if we turn on another hotspot from another device, it will use that “network”. And so, we drain the data from two devices (while the devices have unlimited data, hotspots are capped at 15gb) just to watch a movie.

Rural internet sucks y’all.

I watched Godzilla vs Kong on my ipad and it was OK. I really think I would have enjoyed it a lot more in a theatre.
Furious

Post by Furious »

Edited.

Zack Snyder's Justice League
Rating of Fury: A

aka: Justice League: The Missing Manual

I HBOMaxed the new JL so I could pause it between chapters to do whatever. Four hours is a disturbingly long time for a film, but its kinda needed here.

- intro to motherbox/Steppenwolf storyline
- new intro to Darkseid
- three motherbox battles
- resurrection of Superman
- better character development of Flash and Cyborg (Aquaman, eh... a little bit)
- teasers for new major storylines
- new ending

That's a heckuva lot to work through and the revised JL explains to us much better, such as why Batman is willing to try necromancy, why Cyborg is angry and lost, Steppenwolf's motivation for whacking Earth, etc. In retrospect, this should have been two movies like Avengers: Infinity War and Endgame, but some fans would shriek that Darkseid is just a copy of Marvel's Thanos and a panicked response to the Infinity Stones epic, so i can understand from a business view why Darkseid was left out of the original JL film.

Even in 4:3 format (TV, not widescreen) the updated CGI is an improvement. Spoiled consumer that I am, what computer graphics looked great five years ago look mediocre today, especially after the data gets compressed and minimized through streaming, so the update and changes are appreciated. I tend to razz Zack Snyder about turning his movies into music videos (and there are still montages, like when Aquaman gets his bad-ass drank on) but its not as stop-the-action-for-this-sentimental-thingie-ish like in Sucker Punch or Watchmen.

JL is now more satisfying to watch and the potentials for the DC Flashpoint, Final Crisis, and Injustice storylines coming to the silver screen make me want more. I didn't have that feeling after the original JL. I mean, I'm sick of the Avengers; watching The Falcon and the Winter Soldier is a chore. I WANT the Flashpoint movie to happen!

JL also teases two other heroes, one known and the other not as much. -A- Green Lantern is seen fighting with Earth against Darkseid thousands of years ago, but the current Green Lantern (Ryan Reynolds) and the rest of the Corps (serving Sector 2814 and elsewhere) are blatantly absent. What happened to the Space Cops? The other hero, an alien shapeshifter called the Martian Manhunter 'just appears' after deciding the Earth is finally ready to know and engage in universal affairs. This could be another hint that DC is setting the stage not only for more Darkseid and the Green Lantern Corps, but also niche heroes such as the New Gods, Mister Miracle, Adam Strange, Lobo, and the other Lantern Corpss (Corpses?). And the if DC really goes intradimensional, there's a bunch of characters Neil mentioned a few decades ago...

I'm geeksperging. *blushes* The fact that Jared Leto's Joker has screen time in this JL and alludes to the alternate reality multiverse opens up DC's Cinematic Universe to the pool of DC 'What If' epics which sometimes are much more interesting than the canon storylines (Batman is a vampire? Superman's lifeboat from Krypton landing in the Soviet Union instead of Kansas? Zombie plague? There's some good stuff in there).

Zack Snyder's Justice League capstones the body of recent DC hero movies and it 'feels' like it is the best movie of the bunch, as it should be. The film also provides better reasoning for the actions of the heroes and villians, like making you almost sympathize with Steppenwolf as he begs Uncle Darkseid for redemption and acceptance. The film has updated music and graphics, is considerably longer, hints at the future films in the franchise, and in my opinion is much more watchable. I'll be purchasing this JL on Blu-Ray.
y u poek bear?
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Yeah, I suppose I should devote some time to Justice League, but... blah.

Yesterday I had some decent speeds and downloaded the first two eps of Doom Patrol. I assumed that they were placed in viewing order, but apparently they were not and I watched ep 2 first. um. As if the show wasn’t already confusing. I downloaded some more for tonight.