What are we watching?

Want to talk about some nifty piece of media that isn't Neil-related? This is the place to do it.
Ophelia's Vengeance

Re: What are we watching?

Post by Ophelia's Vengeance »

Starting Schur's new showing Rutherford Falls, which looks to be hilarious. His are among the few American comedy shows that hit a sweet spot for me.
the band was altogether, yes he was alright, the song went on forever
smalltown

Post by smalltown »

I'm all caught up on The Expanse and Snazz and I just finished The Good Place, which I thought wrapped up perfectly. I got about halfway through the second season of Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and just kind of petered out. It was still good, I just lost my motivation. I'm tempted to jump into something with a couple seasons that I've never seen before - either Supernatural (although there's SO MUCH of it that it's a little intimidating) or Lucifer.
duck...duck...duck...duck...BOOBS
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Supernatural is fun, but yeah, there’s years if it. I started watching the Netflix version if Lucifer, but didn’t finish it. Dev is annoyed, because he quite likes the show and wants to talk about it.

I started Shadow and Bone, but my knitting was more compelling and kept my attention. I should probably start over.
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Furious

Post by Furious »

Why does every racing horse owner look like a Bond villain from one of the crappier movies?
y u poek bear?
Ophelia's Vengeance

I paused The Expanse show until I catch up with the book series.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

I didn’t finish season 5 because I found out season 6 will be the last, so I figured I would choose to leave off on a cliffhanger and catch up when it returns. Or, possibly, do a complete re-watch in time to watch the new one.

Last night I chuckled my way through The Mitchells vs the Machines. It’s full of tropes and cliches and yet it managed to be silly and entertaining.

I think I will try Jupiter’s Legacy next.
Furious

Post by Furious »

For people into horror movies, Spiral was much better than expected as the latest film in the Saw franchise.

Chris Rock gave a suprisingly good performance while Samuel L Jackson kinda phoned it in. The traps, which should be the most shocking part of the movie, were kinda forgettable.
y u poek bear?
Furious

Post by Furious »

Army of the Dead
Rating of Fury: C

Netflix gives Zack Snyder too much money to make a Shudder channel quality horror flick.

This is what happens if you shmoosh together the zombie survival and bank heist genres. This is also why you don't shmoosh together the zombie survival and bank heist genres. Too many plotholes, throwaway annoying side characters, and IT'S NOT SCARY.

Remember how in Starship Troopers you could blame everything bad that happens on Denise Richard's bad decision making? Without spoiling Army, this kinda happens here, and to make it worse, this character feels shoehorned into the plot and Army may have been a better movie (and thankfully shorter and tighter movie) if they weren't jumping through hoops giving the character reasons to be on screen.

The obligatory Zack Snyder music montages were nice, but they shouldn't have been the best part of the movie. There was one spark of creativity when the characters were discussing dried out zombie husks becoming reanimated when it rains, but since it never rained in the movie, we'll never know the terror of a decreasing barometric pressure. :/

The movie -started- to have an interesting Fallout: New Vegas feel to it, but we aren't given enough time to explore the world since the heist has a time limit for success (I'm not saying the specific plot device but it's typical zombie schlock) and this is a shame, because there's hints of fun (well, dark apocalypse zombie humor fun) here and there but they never quite develop because Army has a ticking doomsday clock and it has to keep jumping back to minidramas the audience doesn't care about. It's a ZOMBIE MOVIE. FLEX YOUR ACTION HERO MUSCLES OR DIE.

I may go into a online discussion of all the awfulness in Army, but you can watch it on Netflix (or be like me and wait for $5 night at the cinema) and be angry you wasted two hours on this dull cliche crap.

And to think I was praising Zack Snyder a few week ago for Justice League and then he goes and does this. *facepalm*
y u poek bear?
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Furious wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:38 am Army of the Dead

Netflix gives Zack Snyder too much money to make a Shudder channel quality horror flick.

This is what happens if you shmoosh together the zombie survival and bank heist genres. This is also why you don't shmoosh together the zombie survival and bank heist genres. Too many plotholes, throwaway annoying side characters, and IT'S NOT SCARY.

Remember how in Starship Troopers you could blame everything bad that happens on Denise Richard's bad decision making? Without spoiling Army, this kinda happens here, and to make it worse, this character feels shoehorned into the plot and Army may have been a better movie (and thankfully shorter and tighter movie) if they weren't jumping through hoops giving the character reasons to be on screen.

The obligatory Zack Snyder music montages were nice, but they shouldn't have been the best part of the movie. There was one spark of creativity when the characters were discussing dried out zombie husks becoming reanimated when it rains, but since it never rained in the movie, we'll never know the terror of a decreasing barometric pressure. :/

The movie -started- to have an interesting Fallout: New Vegas feel to it, but we aren't given enough time to explore the world since the heist has a time limit for success (I'm not saying the specific plot device but it's typical zombie schlock) and this is a shame, because there's hints of fun (well, dark apocalypse zombie humor fun) here and there but they never quite develop because Army has a ticking doomsday clock and it has to keep jumping back to minidramas the audience doesn't care about. It's a ZOMBIE MOVIE. FLEX YOUR ACTION HERO MUSCLES OR DIE.

I may go into a online discussion of all the awfulness in Army, but you can watch it on Netflix (or be like me and wait for $5 night at the cinema) and be angry you wasted two hours on this dull cliche crap.

And to think I was praising Zack Snyder a few week ago for Justice League and then he goes and does this. *facepalm*

I just read (well, skimmed) an interview with ZS about this, and, zombie movie, fine. Bank heist, fine. But... it’s an apocalypse, what food is money or jewelry gonna be if you can’t find toilet paper and water filters?

I just don’ think I can give much attention to ZS anymore. Same with M Night Shamalan.

I am currently watching Halston on Netflix. 70s fashion designer that I’ve never heard of, which isn’t surprising, I don’t do fashion. Although, I don’t remember these clothes from the 70s, I remember tatty orange and brown polyester.

Last night we watched Infinity War. The kids watched the whole movie series (over the las few months) and they will likely move on to Star Wars next. Although maybe I can sneak in Alien first.

I saw a trailer for Venom 2, and that looks like fun, but it’s been ages since I saw the first one and it’s not streaming anywhere. So, I’m off to Target, for that and for Endgame.

Yes, I have Disney+, yes I can stream it, my internet is wonky.
Ophelia's Vengeance

Furious wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:38 am Army of the Dead

Thank you for your service. You saved what would have been a couple of wasted hours.