What Are You Reading? Chapter 42

Want to talk about some nifty piece of media that isn't Neil-related? This is the place to do it.
A Clever Weasel

Re: What Are You Reading? Chapter 42

Post by A Clever Weasel »

Finished Misery. I read too fast towards the end, but could still perceive a very good novel, and one which was more than its premise, one that worked on more than one level.

I wonder how bloody the movie is; it'd be difficult to top the rat scene. Or the mower scene.
Ophelia's Vengeance

Post by Ophelia's Vengeance »

DNFed a series of books. It's clear now with a few exceptions, I just can't anymore with YA. Started Conjure Women and LOVE it. It's exactly the kind of storytelling and quality of writing I've been looking for.
the band was altogether, yes he was alright, the song went on forever
Furious

Post by Furious »

A Clever Weasel wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 1:57 am Finished Misery. I read too fast towards the end, but could still perceive a very good novel, and one which was more than its premise, one that worked on more than one level.

I wonder how bloody the movie is; it'd be difficult to top the rat scene. Or the mower scene.
I won't spoil it for you, but theres one scene in Misery that EVERYONE winces at. I don't remember the rest of the film being too bad gore-wise.
y u poek bear?
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Nghi Vo’s The Chose and the Beautiful

Retelling of The Great Gatsby, from Jordan Baker’s POV. Only she’s now a Vietnamese orphan who was adopted by the Bakers. And there’s political stuff, something about the Manchester Act? It’s evident that I do ‘t know history. Vrom the sound of it it was bigoted bullshit.

In this version of the world/this story, magic also exists. There was less of this than I had hoped, and far too much of Daisy and Tom and Gatsby. They all annoy me to no end.

Jordan, and the story *finally* became interesting by the very end of the book, when we focused on her bit of the story. I wish I could read that story, it seems far more interesting.

I freely admit that I never read the original Gatsby and after this, I never want to. The characters are vain and soulless. Gatsby is like a dragon hoarding gilt and thinking it’s gold. Daisy is only interested in what the world can give her and then she carelessly flings it away. Why does anyone like these people?
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Ophelia's Vengeance

I'm finishing up Steifvater's Call Down the Hawk, the second in her Dreamer trilogy. Definitely enjoying the second half of the book more than the first and am very curious to see how this trilogy will wrap up in the third and final book.
Furious

Post by Furious »

Finished reading Marvels 2003-2005 MAX series Supreme Power, which was exponentially better than the rushed and janky Heroes Reborn event this summer. The stories focus on Marvel's Squadron Supreme, which is their thumb-to-the-nose just-different-enough-to-avoid-lawsuits version of DCs Justice League.

The older series was written by J. Michael Straczynski and has plots and characters that keep you wanting more. The latter is a poorly developed outline of a good story (reminding me of my own craptastic writing skills :P ) that moves so fast and unevenly and mucks up any interesting What If ideas it has. Remember the lovable Agent Coulson from the Avengers movies? He's the bad guy and his logic for becoming the bad guy makes no sense.

I have a bad feeling that comics are in a slump now, especially with Immortal Hulk ending and Morrison's The Green Lantern ended. There aren't any books out there that I could recommend for anyone... mayyybe some Valiant titles, but living in the middle of NOWHERE means that I can't get the monthly books them and have to wait for Amazon to pump out the consolidated graphic novels. :/
y u poek bear?
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Just finished The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet.

This book was in my sample downloads for… years. It just kept getting overlooked somehow. But it was very satisfying, and also the author treated it a bit like a serial/tv show, we bounced around from one character’s POV to another (although, minor quibble, they did all seem very similar, even the guy who was supposed to be an ass) and it dealt with a lot of issues, fitting in with an established crew, how different species dealt with relationships*, are sentient programs “people”, the importance of respecting other cultures, but also trying to do the right/moral thing.

Anyway. I really enjoyed it, it satisfied an itch I didn’t know needed to be scratched, because I didn’t realise how much I missed SF shows like Firefly and Farscape and STtNG. And I’m glad that the library has these, or at least some of the series, as ebooks, but inevitably the library won’t have all of them and I won’t mind having to buy the rest.

*Relationships. Sissix is a member of a reptilian species, and they get hatched/tended to by the elders of the species. The young adults and adults are expected to go out into the world/galaxy and have adventures and learn things, then when they’ve had a good life, come back and settle down and take care of the babies and toddlers.

I like this idea. It evoked memories of being at my grandmother’s house with all my cousins. I like the idea of communally raising kids.

I downloaded book 2 last night, and it’s not a continuation of the main cast of characters that we started with. It’s a sort of branch off of one of the minor characters that we met during the first book.
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Ophelia's Vengeance

Dipping into Your Mother is a Witch. The premise drew me in, but the execution... eh? I'll keep pushing through and see but it doesn't seem to be saying anything new and I think the historical events the story is based on might be of greater interest.
Ophelia's Vengeance

Dipping my toe into Gail Callinger's Parasol Protectorate series. The first book was a nice palate cleanser and hoping the second continues in that vein.
JocelynZombie

Post by JocelynZombie »

I just finished "Quiet in her Bones" by Nalini Singh (her second mystery novel), and now am moving on to "The Art of Theft" by Sherry Thomas (part of the Lady Sherlock series). I'm not usually much of a mystery fan, and in both cases, I've followed a favorite romance author to a new mystery series, and I've still loved their writing.

I'm also picking at "A Memory of Empire" on many, many people's recommendation. I'm enjoying it a lot while reading it, but forget about it as soon as I put my phone down, so it's taking a while to finish.