What are we watching?

Want to talk about some nifty piece of media that isn't Neil-related? This is the place to do it.
Furious

Re: What are we watching?

Post by Furious »

I know i've become less forgiving of crappy entertainment since i've matured, but cutting 30 minutes of the plot slog and re-editing the movie so it dumps you in the action immediately and tells the boring stuff through flashbacks may have been the way to go.

oh really how much Netflix money is in you bank account Furi?

hush. 😜
y u poek bear?
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

I watched Halston on Netflix. It was pretty good. I know nothing of fashion, but I don’t remember this guy at all, whereas I recognise all the other people. So, I guess that was the point?

This guy was an artiste (tempermental, drug addicted, vain, verbally abusive, difficult to love, gay, obsessed with orchids) and designed things mostly in the 70s. I don’t remember the 70s being that colourful. I remember a lot of tatty yellow and brown polyester.

But no one I knew was into fashion at all.

Anyway, it was fun enough to knit by and now I need a new thing.
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Ophelia's Vengeance

Post by Ophelia's Vengeance »

I've started watching Rutherford Falls. Looks like I'll be stuck at three episodes, as I'm less inclined to pay until there's an app on the Firestick.
the band was altogether, yes he was alright, the song went on forever
A Clever Weasel

Post by A Clever Weasel »

Does anyone know good classic Doctor Who episodes? I know City of Death, Caves of Androzani, and that's about all.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Key of Time arc?

Most anything from the Tom Baker era. :)
Furious

Post by Furious »

A Quiet Place: Part II
Rating of Fury: B/B-

Second in an apparent ongoing monster movie series. Not bad, not great.

I could have had a role in A Quiet Place II. Speaking not required, just walk around, do something dumb, and get eaten by an alien. This is the whole setup of the film. If you remember the first AQP, this film gives you a quick refresher and continues where there first film ended. Aliens come to Earth and raise havoc, the twist is that they're blind and have very sensitive hearing. Cheesy as it sounds, the director John Krasinksi (Jim from The Office pulls it off, and plot holes aside, it's a watchable thriller if not exactly a horror film because IT'S NOT SCARY (pet peeve of Fury #16). Emily Blunt and Cilian Murphy make the film easy on the eye.

Part II reveals another alien weakness, and the film's solution, while sound, creates so many loose ends that you wonder if there isn't a bigger baddie (The Government™ or A Bigger Smarter Alien™) at play that will be revealed in the inevitable Part III. If think think about the one alien weakness that we already know -- the alien's sensitive hearing -- why isn't the military blasting the monsters with sonic crowd control weapons? Or better yet, THIS https://bit.ly/34mlcbf. :D :D :D

Finally, in the film there's the cliche undertone that the real monsters are us. Thankfully, we don't get hit over the head with it. What we do get blasted with is the people are dumb meme. There's one scene where you will (internally) scream at the screen for the actor to DO THIS NOW!... aaaand he doesn't... aaaand he dies. How could someone who survived all the... and leads the... and then he... ugh. AQPII also shows that walking in workboots is just as quiet as walking barefoot, making all the crazy barefoot sneaking around in the first film irrelevant. High powered firearms also have zero kickback in this film. Nit-picky I know, but when a kid fires a shotgun one-handed, they will always miss. Not here. :x

If you're into this type of movie, I'd suggest watching I and II back to back at home, since the films are episodic (II ends abruptly, btw).
y u poek bear?
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Loki!

Now I have to wait a whole week...

Also, my goodness but my brain doles out some stupid random questions that honestly have very little pertinence to the story. I have a list though, I shall fling them at Dweller when he tells me that I can be spoilery.
Ophelia's Vengeance

Late to it, but slowly making my way through Raised by Wolves. Enjoying it and curious to see where the story will wind.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

I don’t want to move on to anything else until I can finish Loki, and I can’t finish Loki.

So, on to reading books! Except... I need a new book.
Ophelia's Vengeance

Just started Babylon 5. Decades late, but have heard so many good things about the show.