Remembering How To Shift

Talk, mix, mingle, have a good time. Just ... be kind.
Maeve

Re: Remembering How To Shift

Post by Maeve »

What did you end up making?

I have finally managed to figure out procedures for my apple galette. I have typed it up, but I need to print it out and put it in my recipe book.

I have to print out a great many of my recipes, because I have changed them over the years. Although I don’t know why I bother, nobody ever makes my stuff.

Gee, I wonder if it’ll rain today...
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Ophelia's Vengeance

Post by Ophelia's Vengeance »

I ended up making hand/minipies with strawberry preserves. It was my first time using Smitten Kitchen's pie crust recipe, and definitely hands down a winner. Flaky and the portions would perfect for, you know, actual crusts.
the band was altogether, yes he was alright, the song went on forever
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Ophelia's Vengeance wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:51 pm I ended up making hand/minipies with strawberry preserves. It was my first time using Smitten Kitchen's pie crust recipe, and definitely hands down a winner. Flaky and the portions would perfect for, you know, actual crusts.
Very similar to Bravetart’s pie crust. But slightly different weights. Bravetart’s has equal amounts of butter and flour, and SK has slightly less butter. I need to experiment now!

Dev’s invited everyone over for D&D tomorrow night, so I promised tacos. I need to go to the grocery store. Actually, I will probably just go to sam’s club, ‘cos I need gas too.

The grey seems to have burned off, maybe it won’t rain today?
Ophelia's Vengeance

Maeve wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:03 pm
Ophelia's Vengeance wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:51 pm I ended up making hand/minipies with strawberry preserves. It was my first time using Smitten Kitchen's pie crust recipe, and definitely hands down a winner. Flaky and the portions would perfect for, you know, actual crusts.
Very similar to Bravetart’s pie crust. But slightly different weights. Bravetart’s has equal amounts of butter and flour, and SK has slightly less butter. I need to experiment now!

Dev’s invited everyone over for D&D tomorrow night, so I promised tacos. I need to go to the grocery store. Actually, I will probably just go to sam’s club, ‘cos I need gas too.

I've done the Art of Pie's lard/butter crust which was good, but it seemed my dough was always just short of what I've needed. I do love the cheese pie crust recipe, though. Overall, I think Smitten Kitchen's will be my go-to given the ease of making it, and the consistency of the crust.

YAY DND! I think your rain came down this way. Some beautiful lightening and much needed rain this evening.
weeble

Post by weeble »

::fworps into the shift 3 months later::

Oh, hey, it's like a time machine only it leaps forward only...

Thanks everyone for the congrats! I am in. I estimate unpacking will take at least 3 years.
LanMartak wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:57 pm <snip> bought a 1959 quad... </snip>
Explain yourself, Lan, what the heck is a quad. I used my g00gle fu to no avail. I came up with several conflicting answers.

Also, apple galette,? Yes please!

Edit to add: anyone heard from StCountZero? Is his family back in Belgium okay after the flooding? If anyone is in touch with him, please send my regards.

weeble wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:27 pm ::fworps into the shift 3 months later::

Oh, hey, it's like a time machine only it leaps forward only...

Thanks everyone for the congrats! I am in. I estimate unpacking will take at least 3 years.
LanMartak wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:57 pm <snip> bought a 1959 quad... </snip>
Explain yourself, Lan, what the heck is a quad. I used my g00gle fu to no avail. I came up with several conflicting answers.

Also, apple galette,? Yes please!

Edit to add: anyone heard from StCountZero? Is his family back in Belgium okay after the flooding? If anyone is in touch with him, please send my regards.
I haven't been in touch but can look to see if he's updated his FB.

What are the next things you plan to do in the new place (besides forever unpacking)?
weeble

Post by weeble »

Ophelia's Vengeance wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:34 pm What are the next things you plan to do in the new place (besides forever unpacking)?
Sleep! Lots of sleep! I also have a few electrical estimates and estimates for replacing the insulation in attic crawl space. Furniture at some point, perhaps... and more sleep, please.

weeble wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:27 pm sleep! Lots of sleep! I also have a few electrical estimates and estimates for replacing the insulation in attic crawl space. Furniture at some point, perhaps... and more sleep, please.
Sleep is mandatory for post-move recovery. Furniture should be fun to pick out, and Labor Day sales should be right around the corner too.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Ophelia's Vengeance wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:28 pm
Maeve wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:03 pm

I've done the Art of Pie's lard/butter crust which was good, but it seemed my dough was always just short of what I've needed. I do love the cheese pie crust recipe, though. Overall, I think Smitten Kitchen's will be my go-to given the ease of making it, and the consistency of the crust.

YAY DND! I think your rain came down this way. Some beautiful lightening and much needed rain this evening.

OK, so, I remembered checking out Smitten Kitchen’s recipe after you posted this. It is extremely similar to Bravetart’s recipe, except her’s uses equal weights of butter and flour. And it’s good, but it comes out slightly tough (probably because I overwork it, but, whatevs) and SK has you separate and chill the dough first, then roll it out and do the folds. Well, that was one of the parts I like about Bravetart’s recipe/procedure: roll it out right after mixing, do the folds, separate, roll out the crusts. Then refrigerate.

BT has slightly more salt, used that. SK has slightly more flour a teensy bit more water. Used that.

It came out really good! That bit of extra flour seems to have done the trick. This pie is crisp, but flaky, and a but tender where it’s all smushed together.

I overcooked the syrup just a wee bitty and some of it overcarmelized, but only on one pie.

J has her birthday pie, which she might share with her dad :) we have the other pie and I shall take a chunk down to BookDad tomorrow.
Ophelia's Vengeance

Glad to hear the pie turned out perfectly! I'm thinking about making a pie come the fall. The Art of Pie has a good cheese crust recipe and I really like it with apple/sausage (which I substitute with browned minced wild boar) filling.