Recipes

Talk, mix, mingle, have a good time. Just ... be kind.
Maeve

Recipes

Post by Maeve »

First Board Incarnation had a recipes thread, and it was splendid, and I learned a lot. I still use the curry spice blend recommended by cloverheart and Smaug. And so I would like to start one here, and since American Thanksgiving is coming up I thought I would post my stuffing recipe.

Cornmeal stuffing

3 cups chicken broth
1 large onion (I prefer it pureed, but chopped is fine)
1 Tbsp poultry seasoning
1 egg, beaten (I use 2 if there’s a lot of bread)
1 Tbsp poultry seasoning
3 cups soft bread cubes (I cut up a whole loaf of homemade bread, and it’s probably a lot more than 3 cups)
1/2 cup corn meal
3/4 cup diced celery*
Salt & pepper

*I boil the celery a bit to soften it because I don’t like crunchy bits in the stuffing, and I don’t stuff a turkey, so it takes less time to bake this if it’s not stuffed in a bird.

Heat broth to boiling, gradually add in corn meal and cook for 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Add poultry seasoning, salt and pepper, celery, and onions, mix in with the bread cubes and beaten egg.

Stuff the bird, or spread out in a deep pan (like those foil lasagna pans from the store) and cover with foil. Bake at 350F for... a while. 30-45 minutes. Really everything but the beaten egg is already cooked, so 45 minutes should be plenty of time.
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Cavenagh

Re: Recipes

Post by Cavenagh »

Maeve wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:33 pm
1 Tbsp poultry seasoning

What's in your Poultry Seasoning?
tree bad fire pretty
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Cavenagh wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:29 pm
Maeve wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:33 pm
1 Tbsp poultry seasoning

What's in your Poultry Seasoning?
Not a clue, bought it far too long ago from the bulk section of the grocery store. It’s definitely got sage in it. I should make a Penzey’s order I suppose.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

This looks delicious: (I followed a link on wonkette’s twitter feed)

https://www.wonkette.com/pssst-grandma ... 2649036031
Crow Girl

Post by Crow Girl »

Thanksgiving leftovers empanadas.

Make and roll out the empanada dough, cut your preferred size circles. For the filling take whatever turkey meat you have leftover, pulse in a food processor until small and crumbled about like cooked ground meat. Add in some turkey stock a bit and a time until you can stick the crumbles together, add a bit of seasoning like sage and onion powder to taste. Fill your empanadas with the meat mixture, leftover cornbread dressing, leftover mash pots. Don’t overfill, you need the edges clean so you can seal. Sprinkle in some shredded cheese, then fold over and seal the edges with a crimp. Fry until golden. Would also work well with yams instead of mashed pots.

For the empanada dough: mix 3cups AP flour, 1tsp baking powder, 1tsp salt, pinch of sugar. Cut in 1/2 cup of solid fats. I use a mix of butter, shortening, and the cooled turkey fats I skimmed off of the stock I made earlier in the day. Whisk 1 egg into a 1/2 cup of turkey stock and work into the dry ingredients until you have a pie crust like dough. Chill for at least an hour. When cool, roll out thin (as thin as you can reasonably get without tearing) then cut out your circles.
- Lisa / CrowGirl
Ophelia's Vengeance

Post by Ophelia's Vengeance »

It seems like smittenkitchen.com and/or Deb's recipe books are my recipes these days. Made her yellow cupcakes last weekend and plan to soon make a batch of her chocolate chip cookies. I love how every single one of her recipes always turns out and is amazing.
the band was altogether, yes he was alright, the song went on forever