Boardsgiving

Talk, mix, mingle, have a good time. Just ... be kind.
Royko

Boardsgiving

Post by Royko »

American Thanksgiving is coming up! Do you celebrate it? If so, how do you? If not, do you celebrate some other Thanksgiving or are you just Thankless?

Also, before we can eat, we all have to go around and say what we're thankful for.

I'm thankful for Nü Board and chocolate.
What's the point of wearing your favorite rocketship underpants if nobody ever asks to see 'em?
St.CountZero

Re: Boardsgiving

Post by St.CountZero »

I celebrate bc my wife and her family do, and I'm sort of dragged along. Traditional turkey and sides meal, except they are not very good cooks so it ranges from actively bad to passable. I bring something from the store because when I make anything myself they don't appreciate it.
Except this year, we're not getting together, hallelujah. So we get to eat better food and we'll have a Zoomsgiving with them.

Oh, and I'm thankful for work from home.
Furious

Post by Furious »

Any reason to eat leftover turkey and stuffing and PIE is holiday worthy.

I'm thankful for the resurrected Board, for Motor Trend channel streaming old Top Gear videos, and for yoga pants still being in fashion.
y u poek bear?
Crow Girl

Post by Crow Girl »

We usually do the big turkey dinner with all the sides and multiple pies. I love all of the cooking and baking, and I am thankful that we’re both excellent in the kitchen :D This year is likely to be our smallest dinner (us two plus his parents). In the past we’ve had multiple tables with upwards of 15-20 people!
- Lisa / CrowGirl
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

I do love to cook, but we never had multitudes at the table, even when I was a kid. And so I didn’t grow up with green bean casserole or sweet potatoes with marshmallows on top, because no one ate those things. And no one ever liked stuffing, but my mother kept trying new recipes because in her opinion a turkey got stuffed. Finally she found one we liked, it’s very basic - a sort of corn meal pudding (chicken broth and corn meal boiled until it’s mush) added to bread cubes and chunked up celery (boiled first to soften it, if it’s not actually stuffed into a turkey) some eggs to bind it together, poultry seasoning, salt, pepper. It’s one of my favourite side dishes. And it’s totally carbilicious and so now I don’t make it.

As a wee toddler, Dev didn’t mind a bit of turkey, hated the stuff, hated mashed potatoes, hated gravy, liked pumpkin pie. And again, we never had people visiting, so it was me, Steve, Dev and dad. Dad and I dealt with type 2 diabetes, and so, potatoes+stuffing+gravy was a massive carb load, even before we got to the pie, and then we had leftovers for ages because I could never find a small turkey.

And so, I started making pizza for a few years. Then I made lasagna. And yes, that’s carby too, but I seem to deal better with noodles (homemade, from durum wheat) than I do with potatoes. And, the tomato sauce is from my garden, so, the symbolic thankful for the harvest thing is there. :)

In recent years, Dev’s girlfriend drags him off to her various family get togethers. I don’t mind though, I’m not the sort of mum who needs holidays. Random Thursdays are much more my style. This year she’s home, but will be working, so Dev’s here so I’ll make lasagna.

I am thankful for all the Boardies who keep me tethered to a giant family, for the internet that connects us, and sock yarn.
Weirdy American Tart Thing
smalltown

Post by smalltown »

I love Thanksgiving. As a kid we didn’t have any family nearby, so it was always just my parents and siblings. The huge multi-generational gatherings on TV were a total mystery to me. But we would get up early and have cinnamon rolls and watch the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade and help in the kitchen when we could.

The first Thanksgiving I was living in my own apartment I decided I wanted to host. Between our families and their significant others we managed to cram 16 people into an 800 square foot apartment living room and it was perfect.

Ever since then (and since Snazz’s extended family is all local) Thanksgiving has been a massive affair that moves from host to host. We did it last year and had a “small” group of about 30.

This year my (pregnant!) sister wanted to host us and her husband’s family, maybe a dozen people total. I just bought a ton of cheese because I was supposed to be in charge of charcuterie. Now with COVID rising so quickly here it looks like we may be staying home and celebrating with enough dairy and cured meats to possibly kill me, but at least everyone will stay safe.

This year I’m thankful for good jobs, a patient child, a supportive partner, and best friends. *hugs board*
duck...duck...duck...duck...BOOBS
Giabow

Post by Giabow »

We celebrate. The past few years, we've been going to my sister's house for the long weekend and celebrating with her and her family (husband and 2 sons.) Thanksgiving on Thursday, and then on Friday, the big boys take the little boys out to do something fun while my sister and I drink wine, watch trashy TV and begin our Christmas baking.

This year, however, because of Covid, The Boy™ and I are staying home. Which honestly isn't upsetting me at all. It'll be nice to have a quiet holiday at home.
Ophelia's Vengeance

Post by Ophelia's Vengeance »

I celebrate, but usually with friends for the past few years. Due to COVID, it will likely be a solo event, but I'm looking forward to trying out a bunch of new recipes and chugging down some wine. I am thankful for new Board and the positive changes that have occurred in my life over the past year.
the band was altogether, yes he was alright, the song went on forever
Royko

Post by Royko »

If anyone is interested in doing some kind of Board Zoom to cheer us up Thanksgiving weekend, I'd be game. Might be tough finding a time that works for people, tho.
What's the point of wearing your favorite rocketship underpants if nobody ever asks to see 'em?
weeble

Post by weeble »

Noodles' recent FB post has me reflecting on how fortunate I am to be both an introvert and have crippling social anxiety! The pandemic has not really affected how I spend most of my time, and I haven't had to try to duck any invitations since March. There's the obvious wear and tear of living through a pandemic, but I'm (1) not going through social withdrawal, and (2) not cooped up with other people 24/7 trying to raise children during a lockdown.