Boardsgiving

Talk, mix, mingle, have a good time. Just ... be kind.
Royko

Re: Boardsgiving

Post by Royko »

I'm an introvert cooped up with three other people. My wife heard somewhere, I forget where, that this pandemic cuts both ways -- introverts need alone time to recharge, and some of us can't get enough. Extroverts need other people to recharge and can't get enough either. It's challenging.

(If this had happened in my 20s, the only affect on my life would be that my pizza place would have gone to contactless delivery. Bad timing, I guess.)
What's the point of wearing your favorite rocketship underpants if nobody ever asks to see 'em?
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

I am an introvert and I often want the house to myself. And I am a weird mother in that I *liked* my kid being away at uni. I didn’t have an empty nest, possibly because he wasn’t really that far away and often did come home. But he warned me! Now he’s just here, and he has stuff to do and I often feel like I’m interrupting. My husband generally annoys me, but beforetimes, he would go do whatever with friends, or he had shows booked, so he was mostly gone. And I liked that just fine. But everything else? I already baked bread (although I did get a lot better at sourdough, thanks to everyone else doing it and needing simple instructions) and cook from scratch and stock up on food and supplies, and most of the things I buy are online orders anyway. I do miss the movies though. A lot.

And so, we all wander off sometimes. Steve has a part time job, and sometimes he gets together with friends (outside, spaced around a firepit) but he’s still in my house far too much. Dev goes to the park, or studies with his roommate (a friend from high school) his girlfriend is home now and she’s here a lot. I don’t mind, I adore her. Sometimes I get to feed them.

I would do a lot of house renovations, especially painting, if my back didn’t hurt so very much. I have had bad pain issues for a long while now and it seems like every time I have a breakthrough where I feel like it’s back to tolerable, I sit wrong or twist on a ladder or step wrong and get pinched nerves and shooting pains. feh.

I am not looking forward to winter, I don’t have anything to focus much hope on. I had various artists or comedians to follow on their tours, and maybe plot out an adventure if they came near me, but I don’t have that anymore. No books coming out any time soon, if ever (*side eyes several authors*) and I know the new administration is something hopeful to look forward to, but I’m still stuck in the anxiety swamp.

Anyway, sorry for the novella. *huggles the Board*
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Jeepz

Post by Jeepz »

We just cancelled the gathering, and we're not happy about it, but better safe? This will be only the second Thanksgiving I won't get to spend with my Mom. The first (17 years ago) threw me into a depression for about 6 months, and eventually.... Well I got out of it. It'll be my 5th Thanksgiving without Pop. This was our holiday. Pretty sure this isn't going to be a good one for me. Sucks because I love this holiday.

Rae and I will still do the food, watch the football, and maybe it'll be good. M's boyfriend's Mom invited her over later that night. It's going to be weird.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Yaknow... this is why I don’t hang everything on a certain day. If I feel like celebrating, then Happy Tuesday. If there’s a gift that I want to give to someone, then, Merry UnBirthday. I guess because I already have a skewed sense of time (because I have no job and life was already a bit groundhog’s day-ish) that I don’t bother with holidays. But also because I don’t really have the same fond memories that the rest of you do!
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Royko

Post by Royko »

Maeve - *huggles* It's been a rough year in a lot of ways. I miss going to the movies, too. Maybe we can come up with some Board activities to keep us busy this winter.

JP - sorry about your Thanksgiving. Just remember this will hopefully be over in 6 months and we can have huge parties then. It will be weird. If you need to talk or vent or anything, we'll be around.

Our Thanksgiving is still on since my father-in-law and parents are in our bubble for kid reasons and none of us see anybody. I'm hoping we won't have to change that before TDay but things are bad bad, so who knows.

Bah, we'll have to invent whole new holidays to make up for this year.
What's the point of wearing your favorite rocketship underpants if nobody ever asks to see 'em?
Ophelia's Vengeance

Post by Ophelia's Vengeance »

I'm trying to convince a friend to do a one-shot D&D campaign for that day. Since we cant all get together, it'd be a fun way to spend the day and have an unexpected thing to look forward to.
the band was altogether, yes he was alright, the song went on forever
fluffyllama

Post by fluffyllama »

We used to switch off holidays w/ my folks and Joel's folks, and then for a bit we bounced between the two places on turkey day. Then I thought - I shall host! Everyone comes to me! I don't have to travel! muahahah. I liked that it forced us to clean up the place :p and I learned about dry brining and how to spatchcock a turkey!
Last year things were a little nuts with the newness of parenting, and we all got together at joel's folks instead. This year I wanted leo to run around like a crazy person with his cousin while we try to keep the kitchen from lighting on fire. But no one's coming over, we're not going anywhere and I guess that's more stuffing for me :(
JocelynZombie

Post by JocelynZombie »

Usually, Chris and I go to his Auntie's house, along with the rest of the world, including Joel and Llama one year! When we do that, we cook one of the Prime Ribs and a couple of sides, and everyone brings something. But this year, all the old folks have been scolded by the young folks, and everyone will stay home.

So, we're ordering in a thanksgiving spread, and making the stuff that the restaurant doesn't, and I'm really looking forward to it. Except that Millie won't get to see her cousins, and that means she'll probably take over the TV to watch something dreadful in retaliation.

This year, I'm grateful for in-person school, for our jobs, for the cat, for my online community and this board coming back at just the right time. And of course, for my family.
smalltown

Post by smalltown »

Should we set up a time to have a big boardsgiving video call, or would that be too chaotic?
duck...duck...duck...duck...BOOBS
Ophelia's Vengeance

Post by Ophelia's Vengeance »

smalltown wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:37 pm Should we set up a time to have a big boardsgiving video call, or would that be too chaotic?
We could do that or a group voice call via the Discord channel.
the band was altogether, yes he was alright, the song went on forever