Pie

Talk, mix, mingle, have a good time. Just ... be kind.
Cavenagh

Re: Pie

Post by Cavenagh »

smalltown wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:19 pm

Honestly, don't bother roasting your own pumpkins. The canned stuff, Libby's specifically, is the way to go, even for the professionals.
I wouldn't have bothered, or even made the pie, except Tristan's school had a pumpkin decorating contest so there were these pie pumpkins laying around, staring at me.

I'm turning the remaining puree into pasta sauce tonight.
fduncan wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:26 pm I made a crapapple pie the other morning. Frozen gluten-free crust which performed poorly, apples, spices, cider & falernum, which was pretty good,
Falernum? That's something I've not seen for awhile. Reckon it should work well with apples.
tree bad fire pretty
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Cavenagh wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:05 pm
smalltown wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:22 pm What is that Cav? Chocolate? Sticky ginger?
Disappointing Pumpkin.

Even though they were fresh pie pumpkins, bland af. All the flavour came from the spices (mace, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, clove, black pepper). First time making a pumpkin pie and possibly not going to again. Not unless I can source pumpkins that have some flavour.
Honestly, don't bother roasting your own pumpkins. The canned stuff, Libby's specifically, is the way to go, even for the professionals.

I won’t open a can anymore and will definitely go through the bother of roasting my own pumpkin. Someday you can taste test my pie up against a can of goo and tell me whether it’s worth it. :)

I like Cinderella, cheese or peanut pumpkins, all of them are heirlooms.
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Furious

Post by Furious »

Apple pie inna fridge. Too lazy to get some.
y u poek bear?
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Somehow there was a slice of pumpkin pie left, so I ate it.
smalltown

Post by smalltown »

Not crazy about pie (unless it's chocolate) but the pecan pie latte I just had was pretty tasty. :mrgreen:
duck...duck...duck...duck...BOOBS
Ophelia's Vengeance

Post by Ophelia's Vengeance »

Maeve wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:54 am
Cavenagh wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:05 pm

Disappointing Pumpkin.

Even though they were fresh pie pumpkins, bland af. All the flavour came from the spices (mace, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, clove, black pepper). First time making a pumpkin pie and possibly not going to again. Not unless I can source pumpkins that have some flavour.

I won’t open a can anymore and will definitely go through the bother of roasting my own pumpkin. Someday you can taste test my pie up against a can of goo and tell me whether it’s worth it. :)

I like Cinderella, cheese or peanut pumpkins, all of them are heirlooms.
Oh, I didn't know cheese was heirloom. I've used it in soups and it's amazing. Will need to try Cinderella and peanut next fall.
the band was altogether, yes he was alright, the song went on forever
Ophelia's Vengeance

smalltown wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:44 am Not crazy about pie (unless it's chocolate) but the pecan pie latte I just had was pretty tasty. :mrgreen:
What about savory pies? I've made a wild boar and apple pie with cheese-dough crust that has been amazing.
Ophelia's Vengeance

Feeling the itch to make a batch of mini pies... maybe this weekend.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

I am still trying to perfect my apple galette. It’s not the flavours, I have what I want there. It’s the textures. The galette is flat and thin, with an edge crust. That has a butter/wine/vanilla bean/sugar crust. And then I have a syrup over it. I managed to contain it this last time, and it was good, it gave it a sort of sticky bun sort of goo. And that’s almost what I want, but, really I want it to be a more caramel sort of drizzle. And I really think I may have to bake the pie, make the syrup, then drizzle it over the pie when it comes out of the oven.
Ophelia's Vengeance

So when am I coming over to eat this deliciousness? That sounds amazing.