What are you growing right now?

Talk, mix, mingle, have a good time. Just ... be kind.
Ophelia's Vengeance

What are you growing right now?

Post by Ophelia's Vengeance »

It appears we lack a gardening thread, and with spring approaching, now is as good a time as any.

Of all of my seedlings last year, only Robert Geranium was strong enough to survive the year long war with the soil gnats. Now that a proper battle strategy and supplies have been found, the hope is that this years group of seedlings will all survive to thriving planthoods.

Current seeds that are sprouting: lavender, parsley, calendula, chamomile, mandrake, coyote tobacco, and lettuce. Henbane and Eastern Red Cedar are currently deciding whether or not to grace us with her presence and still have some belladona and datura seeds to plant (fingers crossed). I hope to get some more plants native to my state to grow on the balcony in the upcoming months.
the band was altogether, yes he was alright, the song went on forever
Maeve

Re: What are you growing right now?

Post by Maeve »

I have a section by the house to landscape, so, I shall muse about that for a while. Mostly I want perennials in there. Herbs and things.

I always think I’m gonna start petunias and never do. I really love the dark purple ones with white speckles.

I have planned which tomatoes to grow. I prefer heirlooms, mostly beefsteaks, dad always wanted only Mortgage Lifters and Brandywines, and yes they are wonderful, but I like trying new ones. I have some new paste tomatoes too. My garden patch is for salads and sandwiches, and eventually for special garden sauce. For pizza and lasagna. Since they take forever to ripen, I bought some cherry tomatoes for early stuff. I have fabric pots to put those in. And cucumbers and maybe the snowpeas. In separate pots, I have five.

I’m in Zone 6. Som places claim it’s not Zone 6a and that I can start tomatoes a bit earlier than my usual St Patrick’s Day, but heirlooms are persnickety. Anyway, I can pretty much start things soon. I have mini greenhouse thingys, a new grow light tree, seeds. I need potting soil, and to order some more tomato cages. My cousin will expand my garden when I’m ready to plant things, I need a fence.

Mostly I grow tomatoes and the herbs and flowers are on the deck. I can’t tend to all the veggies in the garden, so I just go buy that stuff at the farmers market.
Weirdy American Tart Thing
BeeZee

Post by BeeZee »

We have to settle for houseplants (but we have WONDERFUL windows).

But I have a Peace Lily that I have managed to keep alive and thriving for 8 years, a Dracaena marginata that I rescued from out in the alley...now it's so big and sprawling I'm trying to decide if I have the guts to lop off a couple of tops and root 'em. Then "braid" the remaining ones.
Seems the grow from the top and shed the lower branches. Like so-
https://www.fossilcreektreefarm.com/sto ... 216359564

And some others. I rooted sweet potato and yam because they make pretty leafy plants.
I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky's the limit!
Ophelia's Vengeance

Maeve, I love that you have a patch specifically for designated food items. Look forward to your further musings for the undesignated section.

I'm doing herbs, poisons, and ornamentals indoors, and will be doing potted herbs and native flowers outdoors. Ordered seeds for cardinal flowers, milkweed, and bergamot which should make pollinators very happy. Indoors stuff is for me, outdoors is for the wildlife. The squirrels absconded with my month-old winter green plant during one cold spell. *sigh*

Beez, will you be hoping to eventually harvest your sweets and yams? I currently have a leafy ginger, but only plan to nibble on the edible flowers whenever they arrive.
Ophelia's Vengeance

Seeds arrived! Hope to plant most this weekend. Trying to talk myself out of getting a baby raspberry bush...
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

I have potting soil! And I have settled on which tomatoes to grow! Probably!

Lowe’s had packets from Seeds of Change. That’s new. I have two kinds of snow peas, Dwarf Grey and Sugar Pod2. One is supposed to have purple flowers and the other one is a bush and doesn’t need a trellis. I also bought cucumber seeds, because all of mine were just sucky last year. And I bought some perennial seeds, but they prolly won’t bloom this year.

I thought I bought sunflowers, but I don’t see them.
Ophelia's Vengeance

Maeve wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:58 pm I have potting soil! And I have settled on which tomatoes to grow! Probably!

Lowe’s had packets from Seeds of Change. That’s new. I have two kinds of snow peas, Dwarf Grey and Sugar Pod2. One is supposed to have purple flowers and the other one is a bush and doesn’t need a trellis. I also bought cucumber seeds, because all of mine were just sucky last year. And I bought some perennial seeds, but they prolly won’t bloom this year.

Oh nice! What tomatoes are you thinking about?
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Ophelia's Vengeance wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:42 pm
Maeve wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:58 pm I have potting soil! And I have settled on which tomatoes to grow! Probably!

Oh nice! What tomatoes are you thinking about?

This will be a bit of a novella, I get nerdy about heirloom tomatoes :)

My cousin will be doubling the plot for me, and that (mostly) fit 6 tomatoes last year. And the cages I bought are huge, 2 inches across the hoop. And so I might buy just regular large ones, and stagger the layout.

They are Texas Tomato Cages, super easy to use AND put away for the winter. One of them eventually got a bit wobbly with the weight of the tomatoes. But, the dirt in that plot settled a lot, so I think that was part of the problem.

And each cage had more than one plant. But heirlooms take a while to really get ripe and I always feel jealous of everyone else, even though I know those tomatoes just taste like pink. So, I bought some cherry tomatoes to satisfy that craving. And because I wants them all, it was difficult to choose. Almost all of these seeds came from Tomatofest or Baker Creek Seeds, and I prefer pink or red. I have tried other colours and someday I will find a good orange or yellow beefsteak, but I really groove to pink and red.

They sent me a free one with my order: Salislaw Cafe. A Grappoli D’Iverno. Spoon (which reminded me of Snazz and the Board) These will be grown in the fabric pots I bought.

Beefsteaks:

Almost everything will new varieties for me. Dad insisted on Mortgage Lifters and Brandywines, both are excellent, although it seems that Brandywines might not like the deep South. Over the years I have tried lots of varieties, but dad wanted those two, so. But this year is all new, except for Marmande. It’s a heart shaped, early-ish tomato that is excellent in a salad. When I grew it years ago, I loved it, dad was meh, it got voted out every year. Pantano Romanesco. Jennie (was bought because it is Dev’s girlfriend’s name, and she loves garden tomatoes and making BLTs. She also loves my homemade mayo) Indian Moon. Tappy’s Finest. (Long ago I had grown one named Tappy’s Heritage and it was tasty, but the seed packet ripped open and all the other seeds mingled) Missouri Pink Love Apple.

I gotta admit, most of those were bought because I like the names :)

Paste Tomatoes: I have grown some of these: Amish Paste (this thing can become a monster and overtake the trellis, either make the trellis taller or cut off the tops. Super Italian Paste and Big Italian Plum. The SIP is a banana pepper shaped tomato, and if you blanch the skin off quickly, slice it and chuck those slices on a pizza, it’s delicious. Jersey Devil is the same way. I think the JD and SIP are very similar, we shall see. Two new ones Super San Marzano and Carol Chyko’s Big Paste. A friend traveled to Italy and I asked her if she could find any seeds, she found a huge pack, and I still have that pack, but the super SM sounded better? And I was already buying stuff, so in the cart it went.

We eat and share the beefsteaks, what we don’t eat gets chucked in the sauce pot for Special Garden Sauce. And I have lots of jars if we have a bumper crop year. I do have to remember to stock up on lids -before- pickle season! I don’t do pickles. When I get a craving I buy Vlasic Kosher Dills. I do grow cucumbers, I like them with some salt and pepper and red wine vinegar. And I mostly eat salads over summer. And cucumbers make tzatziki sauce.

So. Yeah. Waiting impatiently to play in the dirt.
Ophelia's Vengeance

Your novella on heirloom tomatoes is the best, Maeve. Yesterday, I had tomato sauce (successfully) for the first time in years so I'll avidly be reading your novella sequels when you're able to get in and start planting.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

There will be a lot of seedling, but eventually culled down to probably three plants of each variety. That’s all that will really fit in the cages. I did not plant the cherry tomatoes yet, but I will hope that it stays sunny and put them on the window sill.

I quite like the new grow lights, but the tripod base isn’t extremely stable. Although I might not have it set up properly?