What's in the Belly of the Board?

Talk, mix, mingle, have a good time. Just ... be kind.
Maeve

Re: What's in the Belly of the Board?

Post by Maeve »

I wanted to have Roast Beast on Monday, which is the Solstice, but J works, so it’s been shuffled to Tuesday, when my husband works. He will get home earlier than she would on Monday though.

This is one reason I think holiday meals are stupid, either we space them out so that every family gets every person and we end up so full of food that we can’t even enjoy what we have. And I can’t have my kid when I want him, because he’s an adult with friends and a girlfriend and she has an enormous extended family.

This is why I much prefer random Thursdays.

Dev’s friends were grilling him about “not liking Christmas”. He tried explaining to them that he likes it just fine, but the things that he likes to do can be done at any time, and so that’s when he appreciates it.

So. Today I shall cut up apples and bake pies tomorrow, because I also have to go to the grocery store at some point, and the credit union. Sides will be roasted veggies and baked potatoes, because I can’t manage anything more than that. I honestly wish I hadn’t bothered and just gotten the beef on sale after the holidays and had it somewhen in January...
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Ophelia's Vengeance

Post by Ophelia's Vengeance »

I'm in the middle of trying Smitten Kitche's nutmeg maple cookies. Think I'll experiment with making a vanilla maple frosting too.
the band was altogether, yes he was alright, the song went on forever
BeeZee

Post by BeeZee »

Christmas dinner will be made from what we have in the freezer and pantry, BUT because of some direct-from-farm buys I had made, it's going to be red wine braised oxtail on garlic mash, mixed green salad with manchego cheese and pomegranate.
Cookies for dessert. I made ONE type of cookie this year, so I made my favorite- Brown Butter Russian Teacakes.

Spawn blinked at the oxtail idea, but he trusts my cooking and it will be luscious.
I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky's the limit!
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

I am suddenly craving cole slaw? The hell is up with that?

I wanted to add rosemary to my roast beast. The rosemary plant is on my deck, buried in two feet of snow.

Also, I forgot about my haircut appointment, so timing this roast might be fun. I should be able to get it done and get back and then finish things up.
smalltown

Post by smalltown »

We were going to braise some lamb shanks for Christmas dinner, but the meat managed to go off sometime between buying it and two days later. We scrapped the whole menu and ended up doing greek meatballs with couscous and tzatziki. Nice and easy, and we didn't have an enormous mess to clean up afterwards.
duck...duck...duck...duck...BOOBS
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

My roast was lovely! But I went to feed the sourdough starter for ciabatta for sammiches, and I somehow managed to kill it. It was grey, with mold on top and sludge underneath and white fuzz up the sides of the jar.

I know that starter is never truly dead unless the fuzz/mold is orange or pink, but this smelled like feet-in-sneakers-in-a-summer-rain and I decided to start a new one. It’s name is Glorp. I saved the discard and made english muffins, so I am gonna thaw some sausage and make eggy-cheesy-sausage sammiches for supper.
Jeepz

Post by Jeepz »

smalltown wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:16 am We were going to braise some lamb shanks for Christmas dinner, but the meat managed to go off sometime between buying it and two days later. We scrapped the whole menu and ended up doing greek meatballs with couscous and tzatziki. Nice and easy, and we didn't have an enormous mess to clean up afterwards.
Do you make your own meatballs? I'd love a recipe if you do. I really want to start branching out in my cooking this year.
Ophelia's Vengeance

Jeepz wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:48 pm
smalltown wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:16 am We were going to braise some lamb shanks for Christmas dinner, but the meat managed to go off sometime between buying it and two days later. We scrapped the whole menu and ended up doing greek meatballs with couscous and tzatziki. Nice and easy, and we didn't have an enormous mess to clean up afterwards.
Do you make your own meatballs? I'd love a recipe if you do. I really want to start branching out in my cooking this year.
Seconding the recipe request.
St.CountZero

Post by St.CountZero »

Maeve wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:53 pm I am suddenly craving cole slaw? The hell is up with that?
ha! I did too, so I made some with red cabbage. It's pretty tasty. Also it's "use frozen crap" week, bc I had to buy a new fridge and my freezer needs culling.
Ophelia's Vengeance

Coleslaw sounds amazing. Haven't had any in ages.