Olympics: If I had a do-over--

Talk, mix, mingle, have a good time. Just ... be kind.
Furious

Olympics: If I had a do-over--

Post by Furious »

I'd become a Badminton champion. Holy crap that looks like fun. Gold medalling for swinging a flyswatter.
y u poek bear?
Maeve

Re: Olympics: If I had a do-over--

Post by Maeve »

I watched a ping pong game that was pretty fierce, one guy whacked the ball, ran around the other side of the table while his opponent whacked the ball back, came around the table just in time to hit the ball. Amazing, sure, but I don’t get why it’s an Olympic sport.
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Furious

Post by Furious »

Maeve wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:28 pm Amazing, sure, but I don’t get why it’s an Olympic sport.
There's a lot of Olympic categories -- old, new, and upcoming -- that my inner cynic screams REALLY?! when I think of the contests as proving which nation has the fittest, best athletes for war (and breeding :shock: ), because many of them don't.

But the reality of the Olympics is that its an exhibition, and unfortunately its one driven by money, meaning when a niche sport gets enough attention and political/financial backing, you get another competition added to the roster. Ironically, Nike just televised a commercial making fun of this by pushing stick-pony racing as the New Sport.

I've come full circle with my Olympic viewing. First ooh-ahh wonder, then irritation from the covid crap/poor judging and coverage (and in the US they're not even showing the individual judges scores anymore)/political pozz/drama llamas, then the realization that I'm letting myself miss out on the fun of the Olympics and I can ignore the garbage when it happens with a click of the remote. So now I do. QUITE OFTEN SOMETIMES. :P

Back to badminton*. During the doubles competition, one of the Taipei team broke their racket, ran off the court during play to get a new racket and jumped back in, then won the game (haha Brits :P :P :P ) and went on to beat mainland China for the gold. I'm impressed! :shock:

*now known as the Sport of Kings
y u poek bear?
Ophelia's Vengeance

Post by Ophelia's Vengeance »

I haven't caught any of the events (Peacock streaming, yeah....) Badminton sounds exciting and I'm with Maeve, ping pong should be included too.
the band was altogether, yes he was alright, the song went on forever
Furious

Post by Furious »

y u poek bear?
Furious

Post by Furious »

Ophelia's Vengeance wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:19 pm ping pong
This is NOT a ping pong board and this will NEVER be a ping pong board and it has nothing to do with the traumatic ping pong injury i suffered as a bratty teenager and ping pong is bad
y u poek bear?
Furious

Post by Furious »

I watch pro wrestling (DON'T JUDGE ME!) and while I was goofing around on my laptop half-ignoring it, the wrestling ended and the next show popped up - American Ninja Warrior 2021. ANW is only a shadow of the original Japanese Ninja Warrior that aired on G4TV. Now on the USA network, NBC has sucked all the fun out of the show by overproducing it with too many commercial breaks, annoying commentators, too many contestant-overcoming-a-personal-challenge segments, contestants doing cringe antics and pushing their own brands, and not showing the entire contestants' runs. Why say you're going to air a sporting event if you don't televise the actual sporting event? :x :x

And then it dawned on me: This is exactly how NBC covered the Olympics and was a big reason why they were crap to watch.

Can you imagine if they covered pro football the same way? I think NBC should try it! :P
y u poek bear?