Birthday wishes and mysterious dreams...

Tour dates, signing info, stories of that time you met him in a Panera, etc.
Llama's BIG BROTHER

Birthday wishes and mysterious dreams...

Post by Llama's BIG BROTHER »

Happy 60th birthday to Neil Gaiman!

IN THIS THREAD tell us a story of interacting with The Man Himself, or with his work, or...any personal story involving Neil or his work, actually.

I think the first time I saw Neil in person was at a signing at Dreamhaven Books in Minneapolis (when it was still in Dinkytown). While I was still in line, I saw this little booklet, filled with short stories in comic form about Neil. I picked it up and asked what it was, and Neil at his table overheard me. He looked up, and said something to the effect that it was the most evil thing ever created...so of course I had to buy it. :D

Kagan's Rule of First Contact: You will surprise you more than they will.
smalltown

Re: Birthday wishes and mysterious dreams...

Post by smalltown »

Neil hit me in the face with a water bottle once. Snazz and I were at Jason Webley's 11/11/11 show at the Moore in Seattle. Webley is super into audience participation, so he had garbage bags full of shakers (water bottles with a couple pennies in them) that were being tossed out into the crowd by his guests, which included Neil and Amanda. It was a great show!
duck...duck...duck...duck...BOOBS
Royko

Post by Royko »

First time I saw Neil in person was at Fiddler's Green.

I remember in the evening trying to get a candid photo of him, but he had this preternatural ability to turn and look over at the camera any time I tried to take a picture.

Happy birthday, Neil!
What's the point of wearing your favorite rocketship underpants if nobody ever asks to see 'em?
BeeZee

Post by BeeZee »

A signing at Dreamhaven Uptown was near Neil's birthday. We Boardies got together and brought a flourless chocolate cake (because- gluten free Neil) and a really very nice bottle of single malt scotch.
Not the really EXTREMELY very nice fantastic bottle we wanted to give, because A) we were not in Scotland and B) that would have taken much deeper pockets than any of us had. But we did our best.

It was a lovely signing. Neil read before the signing and the line wasn't horrible. Short, in fact for what it was.
Lorraine saw the Scotch and gave it the not of approval (yay!) and said later the cake and drinkage were delicious and appreciated. So, we were pleased.

We won't see those days again. But ah, the memory of short lines and small, intimate readings-in-a-bookstore.

Happy Birthday again, Neil Gaiman
I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky's the limit!
Ophelia's Vengeance

Post by Ophelia's Vengeance »

I met him at the National Book Festival about fifteen years ago. I conveyed salutations from the Board and his greeting in return is somewhere memorialized in the Old Board in amber.
the band was altogether, yes he was alright, the song went on forever
fduncan

Post by fduncan »

You always remember your first time ...

Sadly, probably not..? I mean, I likely remember it, but I can’t sequence it. I think I’ve seen him in two places in Cambridge .. First Parish Church, where many readings/signings occur, and Oberon, a club where he had one.

The lines have always been long.

He did sign my copy of ‘When the saucers came’, though it wasn’t strictly sanctioned (I was over my limit), and he signed and appreciated a ‘library rescue’ of Anansi Boys, while telling a story of another author who’d refuse such ‘reuse’ requests.

Mysterious dreams? I’m shit for remembering dreams. First loves, though ... torment.
Yep. *that* fduncan. Board-crasher, right-coaster, fat-thumbed grammar nebish
[he/him/boomer]