Norse Mythology - psychopomps

Here's where you go to talk about Neil Gaiman's, books, movies, TV shows, taxidermy, haberdashery, etc.
Embla

Norse Mythology - psychopomps

Post by Embla »

Greetings. I wonder if anyone has information about psychopomps in Norse mythology? Does it exist, and if so, who? Maybe it has slipped my attention while reading, but I can't remember ever hearing of it or coming across information about it.

Thanks 😊

Embla
Furious

Re: Norse Mythology - psychopomps

Post by Furious »

Welcome to the Board, Embla!

There's a lot of brilliant people lurking this Board (i'm not one of them) who might be able to help you, however, since they all grew up (i'm still not one of them), you may not get an immediate response to your question.

That said, while we wait around for the smart people to wake up, were you thinking of something like the Valkyrjur/Valkyries?
y u poek bear?
Ophelia's Vengeance

Post by Ophelia's Vengeance »

Aside from the Valkyries, which Furi mentioned, I can't recall off the top of my head if Norse mythology has any other psychopomps. Certainly beings such as Hel that are in charge of the Underworld.
the band was altogether, yes he was alright, the song went on forever
Embla

Post by Embla »

Thank you for the welcome and the replies 😊 I think the Valkyrie is the closest, absolutely! But are they "restricted" for those slain in battle? Hel get a few chosen to decide for also if I'm not mistaken. Is it the valkyrie that decides who?

Embla
Furious

Post by Furious »

I'll say no, they're probably not restricted, but only as a technicality since I can't find conclusive proof.

Scanning the interwebs, Valkyries evolved from ghoulish spectral battlefield buzzards to wish-granting angelic hotties, and their roles changed as they changed, so it's possible a ghoulish Valkyrie would eat a corpse and let the soul seep down into the underworld OR someone could evoke a wish-granting Valkyrie to curse someone and boot their soul to Hel.

So would an eldery warrior champion who died in his sleep be taken to Valhalla or Fólkvangr via Valkyrie Air instead of getting dumped into Hel or Ran with the normie schlubs? MMMaybe... you'd need to find a poem where HeroIkeaFurnitureName dies outside of battle and gets taken to one of the good afterlives.
y u poek bear?
Embla

Post by Embla »

Greetings again! I asked a pagan podcaster with an account called Thewisdomofodin on Instagram, and this was his reply. I found it very interesting!

"In the story of volund the smith, there are three men who marry valkyries, so they clearly have other duties. Odin also punishes a Valkyrie for choosing the wrong person to save in battle. So the Valkyrie May very well have some amount of free choice. And can interact with humans.

I think what you might find interesting is that it is suggested each person has a personal norn that is attached to them. There’s not much about it but it is suggested there are more than three norns.

So perhaps they could be ones to lead us to the afterlife.

In my explorations boats are still the main vessel to take us to the afterlife according to the burial practices of the Scandinavians. And even the celts to some extent believed in boats taking us to the next life."

Have a good week,
Embla
Embla

Post by Embla »

HeroIkeaFunitureName :lol: good one!
Ophelia's Vengeance

Post by Ophelia's Vengeance »

Embla wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:07 am Greetings again! I asked a pagan podcaster with an account called Thewisdomofodin on Instagram, and this was his reply. I found it very interesting!

"In the story of volund the smith, there are three men who marry valkyries, so they clearly have other duties. Odin also punishes a Valkyrie for choosing the wrong person to save in battle. So the Valkyrie May very well have some amount of free choice. And can interact with humans.

I think what you might find interesting is that it is suggested each person has a personal norn that is attached to them. There’s not much about it but it is suggested there are more than three norns.
The personal norn sounds similar in concept to many other belief systems. If you haven't already, I'd highly recommend checking out Maria Kvilhaug's research. She has a book, a YouTube channel, and a Patreon and has been delving into Norse mythology and translating work for the past decade or so.
the band was altogether, yes he was alright, the song went on forever